Neo-Khuzdul Dictionaries for Lotro Dwarves

“Forgive me mymiddleearth.com, for it has been over a month since my last post”, I whispered through the lattice.  😉

Though on the bright side I’ve been using the past month or so for quite some items you’ll be finding on the blog in the very near future.

One of those items is related to our neo-khuzdul lessons.

As most no longer have access to the khuzdul tools (due to linking problems), or find the tools to heavy for their PCs, I’ve made 2 PDF dictionaries for all Lotro dwarves to download and use.

Some points to take into account concerning these:
* This is a Beta version – meaning that some items might not be included as yet.
* As the other lessons, the content is based on a) Tolkien’s writings  b) David Salo’s writings  c) Khuzdul Vocabulary used in Lotro d) Adunâic  e) Modern day semitic languages such as Hebrew and Arabic.
* These documents do not contain information related to conjugation, tenses, systems or word order.

KHUZDUL-ENGLISH

ENGLISH – KHUZDUL

Search Tip:  As these are in PDF, the easiest way to search is simpy to use CRTL-F and type what you need.

Other documents, previously embedded in “the Khuzdul Tools (part of the Neo-Khuzdul lessons)” will also be available via pdf soon.

About The Dwarrow Scholar

The Dwarrow Scholar first experienced the brilliance of Tolkien when he received a copy of The Hobbit from his uncle as a kid, reading it feverishly again and again. Some years on, when he got his very own walk-man (aye forget about tiny iPods, this thing was a brick and played cassette tapes) he made his own little audiotape of The Hobbit, so he could listen to it on his bike on his way to school. Between reenacting the Battle of Five armies with 4 of his school friends (still feel sorry for the kid that had to be the Orc) and before the days of the internet, you would find Roy frequently in libraries trying to find all he could about Tolkien and his beloved dwarves. When Roy isn’t delving into Neo-Khuzdul or searching for lost dwarven treasures on the net he’s enjoying time with his wife and son, re-reading his tormented Tolkien paperbacks, watching a good movie, learning new languages or playing a game of LoTRO or other dwarf related games.
This entry was posted in Language. Bookmark the permalink.

131 Responses to Neo-Khuzdul Dictionaries for Lotro Dwarves

1. J says:

Yep… I tried to find the rude words. xD
    But seriously, amazing work, very fun and informative to read through, must have taken a damn long time!

• This is actually part of a much larger project that has been several months in the making, of which I’ll be posting more soon… but thank you so much, glad you like it.

About those rude words, there are few… but you’ll have more luck with the expressions list (to be posted soon). 🙂

2. Tamanny Knox says:

Is there a way you could make these files available without going through Scribd ? They keep asking me to sign up as some kind of “premium user” to download the files. Meaning it would cost me money to get them.

I don’t really like Scribd, and don’t want to sign up for them just to download a couple of files.

Any other way to get them ?

• Hi there, thanks!
      No worries. I’m working on updating many documents (see latest post on the blog).
      Once I’m done with these I’ll send them via email to you.

• Jamie C. says:

I agree with J, and would absolutely love a copy of these dictionaries, but am really not interested in subscribing to Scribd.

• Arcon says:

I would definitely like a copy too if it isn’t too much trouble.

• Tamanny Knox says:

Do you need an e-mail for me so you can send the documents – which I would really, really enjoy. We have a lot of Dwarf characters in our Middle-Earth roleplay.

You can use the e-mail I put in with my reply, among the “required fields” – if you can get it. If not I’ll type it in here.

• Actually – and this goes for all that sign up here – you really don’t need to provide me with an email address. As long as the email address you used to register on mymiddleearth is still valid you are ok. As I can see the email address of the registered user when he/she posts a comment. So no need to share your email address with all if you don’t feel like it.

Cheers

• Larin says:

You’ve obviously put a lot of work into this, that’s awesome! Keep up the good work. I would love a copy as well if it isn’t much trouble.

• Ogma says:

Hey. Um. I was wondering if i could get a copy of this text. It would be much appreciated. I have always been fascinated by the dwarves and there customs and to learn bits of there language would be awesome
        !

• I’ve added you to the list of people that will get the updated documents, once I’m done with them.
        Keep you posted.

• Grunior says:

Please add me to the list of recipients, too. Some of the documents are OK to read on scribd, but the dictionaries load for a long time through my slow internet connection and are very, very hard to read (due to the small font).

Oh, and a big “Thank You” for putting so much time and effort into this !

• 'Drea says:

May I also be allowed to be added to the List? 🙂 I’m really looking forward to taking a look at this.

• the Hlaalu says:

I am really happy to see so many fans of Tolkien that wants to learn about the Khuzdul language. Me included ;D i will thank you on beforehand

• Will Lozaw says:

I may be a tad late to the party, but I would also like to get a copy of the Dictionaries, if it isn’t a hassle now.
      I’m creating some Dwarven weapons and shields, and I’m looking for additional words and phrases to use on them.
      Thank you very much!

3. Svenja says:

Wow, amazing work! How long did this take you to compile?

Could you make these available somewhere other than scribd? I really can’t afford to sign up with them, sad as that may sound.

• It took me about half a year to compile the first draft versions. Have been updating them ever since. About getting a copy of these, no worries at all. I’ve added you to my list, so I’ll send you the documents, free of charge off course, when I’m done updating them.

4. dreamingfifi says:

Impressive work, as always!

5. catc10 says:

How do I sign up to get the updated versions, though?

6. LadyLC says:

Hi,
    I’d like to sign up for the updated versions. Thanks!

7. Clementine says:

I’m really impressed by the effort you’ve put into this dictionary and your readiness to share. Since I also struggled with the afore-mentioned SCRIBD problems, would you mind adding me to your mailing list? Thank you so much. I’ll be eternally thankful. 😉

8. Kellen says:

These are incredible! Would it be possible to get the pdfs as well? I would much appreciate it, I’ve been meaning to learn Khuzdul 🙂

9. nowhere-dottir says:

Oh my gosh this is brilliant! I’ve been learning Khuzdul for a while and this is just fantastic and it’s incredibly informative as fore-mentioned in the first comment. Like seriously thank you so much for making and sharing this 😀 (oh uhm and I’m awfully sorry to bother you but, if it isn’t a burden, may I be added to the mailing list? eep sorry and thanks for this again 🙂 )

10. Winwhal says:

I would absolutely -adore- being added to the email list for the pdfs of these, I’ve been trying to learn Khuzdul for a while now and can never find good reference for the language.

11. Shannon says:

I would also love to be put on the list for the pdfs. I found them through another fan, but cannot afford to pay for a single use of the site.

Thank you very much!

12. Sarra says:

LOVE the dictionary, but does Khuzdul have any words like “Want, desire, have, need, do, must, my, trust, give, take” etc?

• Hello, thank you for the kind words.

Yes, like any language Khuzdul has verbs, “want, desire, need, trust, etc.. “. Trust for instance uses the radicals “KRT”. Meaning that all words related to trust use these radicals. Examples: “(the) trust” = “akrât” / “never trust an elf” = “nî ikirit fund”. Some words however like “must”, “shall”, “will”, “may” or “can”, are auxillary verbs and are added to the verb stem. For instance = “The Lord can trust us” = “Uzbad katakrutimâ”. “katakrutimâ” consists of “ka-” (can) + “ta-” (3rd person singular) + “kruti” (imperfect stem) + “mâ” (us). So, it isn’t a simple translation unfortunately to translate auxillary verbs such as “can”, “will/shall”, etc… . Note: This kind of information will be included in the updated dictionaries. Hope that answers your question Sarra.

13. Jesseka says:

I, too, would love to be added to the mailing list. This has been more than helpful to me so far with starting to learn the language! Thank you!

14. Cassandra Smith says:

Fabulous work! You have a much better understanding of language than I do (and a lot more patience). Please, add me to the list!

15. André Deffland says:

Hi,
    please send me the PDF of Neo Khuzdul , Scribd doesnt seem to like me uploading stuff … so i cant get it out of there =P

And you did some very impressive work there … should get a title like “Honorary Dwarf” or something =)

16. Francis says:

I’d like to be added to your mailing list for the dictionary, Do I need to create an account with mymiddleearth.com, or are you able to see the email address it required me to enter when I posted this comment?

17. Kim says:

Amazing work! I’d also like to be added to the list. Thank you!

18. Jordan says:

Can you add me to your mailing list.

19. veronica says:

Hey I signed up to my middleearth but somehow the log in didn’t work. Anyways I’d love a copy of your Khuzdul dictionary. I’d be grateful if you could add me to your mailing list, cheers

20. Sarah says:

I would love to get the updated version of this to use some of the words for a story I’m working on.

21. Mel says:

Hey!
    I really like your work. Can you add me to your mailing list?

22. Dwarf says:

Can i have a simple version of the khudzul with after the letters how you speak it.

• I will ensure you get an updated version of the documents. Though note, my PC is in the shop unfortunately so the documents will be delayed a bit further.
      You’ll get them via email when I can send them, thanks for the patience.

23. Dwarf says:

I am not english so if i write something wrong,sorry

24. K L says:

Please sign me up for the updated copies. Thanks

25. Swash says:

Hey I don’t think my last comment worked, could you add me to the mailing list please?
    Much appreciated!
    Cheers.

26. Jacob says:

Would be much obliged if you were to add me to the list as well!

27. Kysen says:

Hi, I’d love to be added to the email list for the pdfs! These look absolutely amazing, and I’d love to take a look at them. 🙂

28. Alex says:

I would be interested in a copy, this looks amazing. Dwarves DESERVE the effort you’ve put in to give them life.

29. Praween says:

So, bassicly the mymiddleearth.com is part of this right?
    So looks like a fun site!! Defintly signing up for this. I wonder if i could learn Kuzdul that fast! 🙂 Dwarrow scholar? Here is my email: praween@telenet.be

greetz
    Praween

30. Mitchell says:

I know this is a little late, but I only just caught into this amazing, helpful piece of artwork. I loved reading it, and would enjoy further if I could get a copy (latest please) via email. Thank you.
    ~please get back to me ASAP, I can’t wait to start and continue my knowledge and understanding of the Khuzdul language. 🙂

31. megacampiona says:

Hi!. I’ve just discovered your dictionary, and, as many others, I think it’s you who should be paid for this work, and not scribd. Would you be so kind as to send me a copy? Maybe you should think of selling it 😉

Thanks in advance!
    Marivi

32. Omnir says:

Awesome work! : D Really helping me bring life to our MERP sessions (and my story writing concerning the fallen Dwarven settlement they are in~)

Could I be added to the mailing list for the updates?

33. Greg says:

I would love this off Scribd if I could as well.

• I won’t be providing the scribd documents, as these will be going offline soon. Meaning that I’ll be providing updates off those via email, to the people that requested to be added to the mailing list.

Cheers

34. Skuldan says:

The dictionary is going offline?! I NEED to be on the mailing list please. To have recorded all these words and translations is amazing. You truly have Dwarven determination!

35. Bismuth says:

Don’t know if I’m late or not, but this is truly amazing. Any chance I could be on that mailing list too?

36. Ailin says:

I’d like to be added to the mailing list, please (not sure if I have commented before, so just in case)

37. luvsbitca says:

Hi,
    I would love to get a pdf copy of this emailed as well if possible. I can’t get the doc out of the website either.
    Thanks.

38. Dwarf Lady says:

Hello,

Is it possible to obtain an updated version of your dictionary as well? I love it and find your work truly impressive, plus, I need it for my fanfic^^ and I admit that I love Khuzdul!

Thank you!

39. Alice Becker says:

Hey, if you’re still working on this/active, I would LOVE to be added to the mailing list. This is really cool stuff you’ve got here, just looking at the words is giving me all kinds of story ideas! Thanks for your hard word!

Alice

40. I’d really like to be on this mailing list too, as well as get a copy of the dictionary since I really don’t want to mess with scribd. Do you think it’s possible to get me onto the list? Please?

41. Hey, I recently stumbled onto this amazing dictionary and if I’m not too late could I possibly be added to the email list? I am a language enthusiast and Khuzdul is high on my list of languages to learn… Thanks!!

42. Magnamune says:

If you’re still accepting names onto the mailing list, I request the addition of my name. My RP group would be most thankful.

43. Ashleigh says:

I’d like to sign up for the mailing list 🙂

44. Mercedes says:

I hope I’m not too late, but I would like to sign up for the mailing list. Your dictionaries are simply amazing! In these last few weeks I have found out how much more difficult it is to find the correct translation of an unknown Dwarvish word in a story than an Elvish one, but I was so very happy when I found your site. Finally I could understand what was being said! You have my thanks!

45. khardoun says:

This is amazing, I too would love to be added to the mailing list. You’ve put a lot of time and effort into these and it’s beyond appreciated.

46. Keirta says:

I about dropped dead when I found this. And then to read that its going offline soon made me want to cry. If its not too much trouble I would love to be added to the mailing list. Thank you so much for your hard work and dedication.

47. NeverMineToHold says:

I was very happy to have found this – and sad to hear that it will go offline soon! It is a remarkable work, and show of dedication on your part!

If at all possible, could I please get a copy of the pdf-file dictionary? Correct Neo-Khuzdul is so much harder to find than anything elvish; that file would be a great help! Thank you very much in advance 🙂

48. Olga says:

Hello, I do hope I am not yet late for signing up and receiving the pdf copy of the dictionary. I’ve majored in Linguistics as my undergrad, so I do appreciate all the amazing unbelievably difficult work that you’ve done. Thank you ever so much for creating this website for other enthusiasts.

49. Megan says:

This is absolutely fantastic! I found it nearly 2 weeks ago and have referenced it several times a day since, but only now scrolled down far enough to see it’ll be going offline!
    If you are still taking names please do add me to the mailing list as well, I would absolutely love a copy! If you need to confirm my email please let me know and I will be happy to provide it.

50. Mo says:

Hi, I was wondering if I could get a PDF copy of the dictionaries. My hat off to you sir, I’ve just started teaching myself Khuzdul and Cirth and your site is by far the best resource on the Internet.